Monday, August 9, 2010

breakfast salad


Since hubby and I are on a pretty strict diet we've had to get creative so we aren't eating grilled chicken or scrambled eggs every night.
One of my favorite meals of the past week would have to be this yummy breakfast salad inspired by the one I had at Sunny Pointe Cafe in Asheville.
I used Jenny O Turkey Extra Lean Turkey Bacon (only 20 calories a slice) and cooked it with red onion to add a little flavor.
We topped organic mixed greens with the turkey bacon, onion, homemade maple vinagrette* and two eggs over medium.
This. was. DELICIOUS!

*Maple Vinagrette:
1/4 cup of at least Grade B Maple Syrup.
1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. of good honey mustard (dijon mustard would probably work well also)

Whisk syrup and vinegar together while slowly adding olive oil.
Season with salt and pepper and lastly whisk in honey mustard.

This stuff is so yummy and a little goes a long way, I only drizzled a bit over my greens.
The combination of the dressing and the runny egg yolk are superb!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Emie! Are you guys following a specific diet or just cutting carbs and fat? And where did you find a Bod Pod to get measured in??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey darling! :) We are mostly cutting carbs and trying to eat a lot of protein.
    It's definitely working for us thus far, I feel better than I have in awhile.

    Pepe and I got measured in a Bod Pod here in Kannapolis (where I work).
    You can get tested in Charlotte as well.
    Here's the info:
    http://www.carolinasmedicalcenter.org/body.cfm?id=1410

    I highly recommend it...it's really informative.

    xo

    ReplyDelete