Tuesday, February 1, 2011

green pork chili.


Mr. P and I love a good taco.
We've learned there are certain ingredients you can combine with just about any meat and the result is a perfect filling for a doughy flour tortilla.

Green pork chili never quite turns out the same when I make it because I'm always adding a different combination of ingredients.
However, this past weekend I took note of the ingredients I used in hopes they would produce a great batch...luckily, they did just that.

The key word in this recipe is 'green' and that's evident in the items I purchased.

Ingredients:

1 16 oz bottle of Salsa Verde
2 serrano or jalapeno peppers, diced
*normally I would choose to go with the jalapenos, but Target was out...boo!
2 limes
1 10 oz can of green enchilada sauce
1 4.5 oz can of green chilies
1 bunch of cilantro
1 medium sized red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 14 oz. can of chicken broth
1 Tbsp. Mexican Oregano (smokier than your typical Mediterranean oregano)
1 Tbsp. Cumin
1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 5 lb. boneless pork butt

I began by heating about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet.
Sear all sides of the pork butt to lock in flavor.

Once you have seared the meat, place it in your slow cooker.


Use that same skillet and cook the onion, peppers and garlic for about 7 mins. I used a few tablespoons of chicken broth to deglaze the pan and scrape up the brown bits left behind by the pork.


I then added the vegetable mixture, as well as the remaining ingredients (minus the cilantro) to the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 5-6 hours.
Add the cilantro, I used half the bunch, during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.

Serve inside flour tortillas and along side refried beans.


Qué aproveche!


No comments:

Post a Comment