Thursday, September 16, 2010

09.16.2010


Today my not so little brother turns 17.

I still remember the day back in 1993 when my mother told Carly and I that we were going to be big sisters.
We were mortified.
How could our 33 year old mother be giving birth again?
Back in the day it seemed everyone had babies in their 20's, a far cry from the world we live in today.
Or maybe we were just being complete idiots (more likely the case).

Turns out it was one of the best gifts our mother could have ever given us.
She gave birth to a tan & chubby little ball of joy who we of course dressed in girls clothing from time to time.

With ease I remember my brother's torturous terrible 2's.
His tantrums usually took place at Wal-Mart.
If you are where I'm from you know that EVERYONE is always at Wal-Mart.
I was terrified someone from school would witness my little brother screaming bloody murder while hiding under a clothes rack.
I actually thought that if anyone saw, my life was going to be over.
Funny the things we worry about as children, huh?

Over the next few years I remember most spending time at the ball field watching my little bro', a true athlete.

Then about 10 years ago, right around this time, I left for college.
I was so very anxious to escape my small town and experience more.
What I wasn't prepared for was how bad I'd miss my family.

Luckily a few years later sister joined me and together we missed our mother and brother.
I have a hole in my heart that is only filled when the 4 of us are together.
Those moments are rare today with life happening around us, but when they do happen, they are perfect, they are comfortable, they are just plain RIGHT.

I shed tears when I think about all the years I missed watching my brother grow up.
But I take comfort in knowing he had the love and full attention of a wonderful mother who has played a huge part in the amazing person he is today.
I know that someday we will make up for the time we've all spent apart.
I know that the world has some really awesome things in store for my smart, talented and of course handsome little bro'.

*Bubby, I love you dearly. I truly could not be a prouder sister. Keep up the hard work.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

**Picture taken last week after my brother helped his high school football team win a game 15-13 and he was awarded MVP.

1 comment:

  1. Emily that is so sweet... simply beautiful. I am so so so blessed.....

    ReplyDelete