Wednesday, September 1, 2010

zucchini boats

Sunday I headed home after a very short but even sweeter trip to my first home, Norton, VA.
I came back armed with goodies from my mother (because she's wonderful like that) that included rosebud salve, homemade lavender laundry detergent, jalapeno peppers and fresh herbs.
I stopped off on my way back to H-Ville to pick up more items so I could make my sweet hubby a good din din.
As you may or may not remember we are on a lovely high protein low carb diet which is somewhat limiting when you want to create a masterpiece.
Luckily I remembered coming across a recipe for stuffed zucchini and thought that would be the perfect healthy yet satisfying meal for our Sunday evening.


and satisfying it was my friends.

Recipe:

zucchini
99% lean ground turkey
olive oil
1/2 a medium sized onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 T. chicken broth
1 can of petite diced tomatoes (I opted for tomatoes + green chilis for a little extra heat)
fresh basil
fresh rosemary
fresh thyme
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
1 egg
fresh mozzerella
marinara

*Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out insides, leaving shells about 1/4 inch thick. Reserve about half of the insides.

Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over med/high heat.
Add garlic and onion and saute for 2 minuntes.
Add reserved zucchini and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
Transfer onion mixture to a plate.

Add 1 more tablespoon of olive oil to skillet and brown turkey.
After turkey is cooked through add back in the onion mixture.
Add chicken broth (or white wine if you so desire).
Then add the petite diced tomatoes and the fresh herbs, cook 2 minutes longer.
Remove from heat and set mixture aside.

Once it has cooled add one egg, lightly beaten, cheese and salt & pepper to taste.
Fill zucchini shells with mixture. Fill a baking pan with 1/4 inch of water. Place filled zucchini halves in pan and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, until golden brown.
Top with fresh mozzerella and place zucchini halves on a plate of your favorite marinara.

Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Yummy! Thanks for the recipe...gonna' give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmm..I wish I had this recipe earlier in the summer. I had SO many extra zucchinis and we couldn't eat them fast enough.

    I'll def. save for next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea!! We'll give it try, too! With three weeks left, I'm trying my very best to re-motivate myself. So tough :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! Thanks for posting the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete