Wednesday, May 19, 2010

dinner.


As most of us are painfully aware, bathing suit season is upon us.
Memorial Day weekend is usually the first and last time we find ourself out on the lake.
This also means we usually find ourselves in panic mode about 2 or 3 weeks before the boating adventure.
So not only are we trying to make it to the gym every night, we've also decided to cut carbs from our dinner menu. This is more of a challenge for me because I L.O.V.E bread! I love it people!
In order for this to really happen I knew we needed to have a menu planned for the week consisting of protein and veggies.
Monday I grilled corn, green onions and red pepper that I used for a grilled corn salsa.


I let this sit overnight so that all the flavors could meld together.
Yesterday morning before leaving for work I threw chicken breasts, fat-free italian dressing, chipotle hot sauce (my new favorite condiment) and fresh garlic in our slow cooker.
Before serving it I added lime juice and cilantro and the results were pretty darn amazing!

Recipes:

Corn Salsa:

3 ears of corn
A bunch of green onions
1 red pepper
4 T. Olive Oil
2 Garlic cloves
1 t. cumin
1 Lime
Chipotle hot sauce
1/2 cup fresh Cilantro (we like a lot!)

Grill vegetables (I used my indoor grill); corn for about 15 minutes, red pepper for about 10 mins and green onions for 5 mins.
Cool veggies completely, then remove kernels from the cob and dice green onions and red pepper.
Heat 2 T of Olive Oil in skillet and add garlic and cumin, cooking for 2 minutes and then add to a large bowl.
Add vegetables, 2 T. olive oil, juice of lime, chipotle hot sauce and fresh cilantro.


Zesty Chicken:
3 1/2 lbs. Boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups of fat-free Italian dressing (I used Kraft, half zesty and have original)
2 Garlic cloves
Chipotle Hot Sauce
1 Lime
1/2 cup fresh cilantro (again, we like a lot)

Place chicken in slow cooker with a few dashes of hot sauce, italian dressing and fresh garlic.
Cook on low for 7 hours (or on high for 3-4).
Once done shred chicken and allow to cook in juices for an additional 30 mins.
Add juice of 1 lime and the cilantro before serving.



*I served the chicken on top of a heaping spoonfull of the corn salsa. We topped the dish with red onion, jalapeno for Mr. P and low-fat mexican cheese blend.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. That looks SOO good. Thanks for the recipe. I'm gonna have to try it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been battling this low/no carb deal forEVER with Ted. Annoying, but healthy :) Who doesn't want pasta and bread?

    Anyhow, I've been living off of a lot of the recipes in the article below. They may help you get creative, too!

    http://health.yahoo.com/weightloss-overview/the-carb-lover-s-survival-guide/mens-health--6185.html

    ReplyDelete